Wirth Lab Facilities: A 650 ft2 laboratory that incorporates wet lab space, microscopy facilities, and light scattering into a single space. Specific instrumentation includes:
- Malvern Zetasizer Nano ZS: Front and back light scattering instrument capable of measuring particle and molecule size (0.3 nm to 10,000 nm), translational diffusion, electrophoretic mobility, zeta potential of particles at high and low concentrations, viscosity and viscoelasticity of protein and polymer solutions.
- Olympus BX51WI Upright Microscope System: Transmission and reflection regular microscope with ProScan XY Motorized Stage.
- Hamamatsu ORCA-R2 Digital Deep Cooled CCD Camera
- Olympus cellSens Software Platform for Image Analysis
- Variable Angle Total Internal Reflection Microscopy System: Custom built semispherical prism-based Total Internal Reflection Microscopy flow system adapted for an upright microscope.
- Reference 600 Potentiostat/Galvanostat/ZRA: A high-performance, research-grade potentiostat/galvanostat/ZRA. The Reference 600 has 11 current ranges from 600 milliamps to 60 picoamps and a compliance voltage of ± 22 volts.
- Film stretcher for production of polymer nano-ellipsoids: Custom built instrument based on a published procedure for the fabrication of ~grams polystyrene ellipsoids of aspect ratio 1 – 6 and initial diameter of 200 nm – 10 m
- NIMA Langmuir-Blodgett trough (Dr. Nolan Holland)
- Wet lab: Equipment necessary for the preparation and processing of soft materials including: Thermo Scientific MicroPure water purification system, Accumet AB200 pH/conductivity meter, Isotemp 2.5 ft3 oven, Fisher ultrasonic bath, sonic dismembrator, stirring hotplates, analytical balance, Accuspin microcentrifuge (up to 17,000 g), minicentrifuge, Thermo Scientific vortex mixer with custom 3D printed scintillation vial holder, polymer film curing.